With the uncertainty brought along by Brexit, many people are considering applying for citizenship of a EU country. It’s relatively common to be able to do that through descent, marriage or prolonged residency in another country.

It’s still unclear whether this will provide any real benefits in terms of being able to work and travel in the EU – however, the number of applications received since June last year has rocketed.

According to UK census data, as many as 10% of people living in the UK have a grandparent who was born in Ireland. This gives them a right to apply for an Irish passport. Many are also making the most of years spent working in another country or are considering getting married to their European partner.

Although the process varies greatly depending on the country you wish to become a citizen of, you will often have to start by translating some paperwork. Amongst the usually required documents are birth/marriage certificates, employment letters, proof of residency, etc. This type of translation is usually referred to as ‘certified translation’ or ‘official’ translation’.

What is a certified translation?

A certified/official translation is a translation that comes with details of the translator or translation company, plus a signature and a stamp, and a statement to confirm that it is a correct representation of the original.

At Sure Languages, our certification packs include a certification letter, the translation, and a copy of the document in the original language. A copy of the original document is acceptable in most cases, but please check with the relevant authorities as some may require you to provide the original document with your certification.

There are no strict regulations on how the certification letter should be written, but here’s a checklist to make sure that it ticks all the boxes:

• The letter must state that the translation is a “true and accurate translation of the original”
• It must include the date the translation was completed
• It must also include the name and contact details of the translator or translation company

Getting a document legalised

You will sometimes be required to obtain an apostille for your documents (also called ‘legalising’ your documents). If you’re in the UK, you can do this step here: www.gov.uk/get-document-legalised. It’s generally advised to legalise your documents before getting the translation done, but please check with the relevant authorities before proceeding.

Hopefully this article has answered some of your questions about certified translation for EU citizenship, but if you need any further information feel free to contact the team.

If you’re a non-business customer in need of a certified translation, you can order an official translation online here. We offer certifications both into and from English, as well as more than 100 other languages.


Get a quote Order your certified translation online

Sure Languages is a professional translation company based in the UK. We help businesses from all sectors communicate in over 100 languages through our specialised translation, interpreting and voiceover services.